Posted: May 23, 2013 South Barstow Street Construction Begins Tuesday, May 28th
The South Barstow Street reconstruction project will begin Tuesday, May 28, 2013. The nearly $2 million project will include things like new concrete pavement, new sidewalks, new planting areas, and new boulevards.
The project, from Lake Street to Eau Claire Street, will require S. Barstow Street to be closed to through traffic. Drivers will be following a detour route. Southbound S. Barstow Street traffic will be detoured west on Eau Claire Street to Graham Avenue; then south on Graham Avenue to Lake Street; then east on Lake Street to S. Barstow Street. Northbound S. Barstow Street traffic will be detoured west on Lake Street to Graham Avenue; then north on Graham Avenue to Eau Claire Street; then east on Eau Claire Street to S. Barstow Street.
There will be pedestrian access to businesses on South Barstow Street throughout construction.
S. Barstow Street construction will include:
- New curb and gutter, concrete pavement, sidewalk, and clay brick paver boulevards
- Curb bump-outs at the intersections to improve pedestrian crossings
- Mid-block curb bump-outs to provide public gathering spaces
- A combination of pedestrian lighting and high-level lighting at intersections
- Special event electrical capabilities at intersections
- A combination of tree grates and planting areas
- An irrigation system and an upgraded sound system
Work is planned to be completed and open to traffic by August 16, 2013. Work on the brick pavers in the boulevard should be completed by September 13, 2013.
Removal of street light poles is tentatively scheduled for Tuesday, May 28th
Concrete removal is tentatively scheduled for Tuesday, May 28th
Sawing of the sidewalk is tentatively scheduled for Tuesday, May 28th
Storm sewer is tentatively scheduled for Wednesday, May 29th
Grading and graveling from Lake Street to E. Grand Avenue is tentatively scheduled for Monday, June 3rd
Electrical/sound/irrigation conduit is tentatively scheduled for Thursday, May 30th
Curb and gutter from Lake Street to E. Grand Avenue is tentatively scheduled for Tuesday, June 11th